The South African Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, was formed in 1946. From the onset the aim was to form an uniting body for gynaecologists. Initially and for many years the main objectives were to organise congresses and meetings, to negotiate for a proper fee structure and to make comments on obstetrical and gynaecological training in South Africa.
Excellence and equity in women’s health.
The South African Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists aims to achieve its vision by representing and supporting its members in pursuit of the following:
- Improvement in women’s health in South Africa.
- Maintenance of high ethical standards.
- Promotion of excellence in clinical practice, training and research in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Representing the discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology within the country, on the continent and internationally.
- Continuous professional development.
- Co-operation with the College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of South Africa, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, the International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (FIGO) and other societies with similar goals.
The primary objectives of the Society are as follows:
- To maintain high ethical standards in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- To encourage the highest standards of training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- To support and encourage Continuing Professional Development.
- To represent all South African Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, both nationally and internationally.
- To work towards the improvement of women's health in South Africa.
- To work in close co-operation with the College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the Colleges of Medicine of South Africa and the South African Representative Committee of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and academic institutions in attaining all of the aforementioned objectives.
- To remain a full member of the International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) and to subscribe to the aims and objectives of this international