SASOG have devised the BetterOBS™ program with the intention of promoting safer deliveries, healthier babies, better outcomes all round and consequently decreased opportunities for litigation.
The BetterOBS™ program consists of 4 pillars.
- The Obstetrician, who will be tasked to do the following:
- Adhere to the SASOG protocols introduced into all labour wards .
- Attend at least 50% of the M & M meetings as arranged by the hospital
- Complete a delivery report on each delivery
- Informing the patient about the BetterOBS™ program
- The treating Paediatrician, who will be tasked to do the following:
- Complete a discharge summary on each neonate discharged from the hospital and notify the delivering obstetrician if a neonate is re-admitted (in the same or in a different hospital).
- Attend the M & M meetings
- The Hospital
- Make the patient aware of the BetterOBS™ program by handing out the BetterOBS™ info sheet
- Ensure that M & M meetings take every second month
- The Patient
- To sign that they have been informed of the dispute resolution channels for the Doctor.
A Lead Obstetrician is appointed in each hospital as the champion of the program in each hospital (along with the Hospital manager) and will also be responsible to lead/delegate the teaching sessions for the nursing staff in each hospital.
Protocols have been introduced to the labour wards for staff and medical practitioners to follow.
The Obstetric Handbook (written by Prof Priya Soma - Pillay) is being purchased by the hospital groups and handed to each Obstetrician This book should also be made available to the nursing staff.
The M&M Meetings held every 2 months, is a self peer review process involving all involved in maternity.
BetterObs™ Protocols and Guidelines
P1 PPH flow chart
P10 Induction of Labour Patient Safety List
P11 Preterm Delivery
P13 Delivery Report
P14 Paediatric Report
P15 Caesarean Section
P16 Prenatal Tests April 2018
P17 Severe VTE Imminent Eclampsia
P18 Patient Pregnancy Information Letter
P19 Pre Mediation Meeting Clause including standard procedure
P2 Pre term labour
P3 Massive antepartum haemorrhage flow
BetterObs documents have been developed by interdisciplinary healthcare teams utilising the best available evidence and resources believed to be accurate and current at the time of release. They are intended to provide general advice and guidance on which to base clinical decisions. SASOG takes no responsibility for matters arising from changed circumstances or information that may have become available after issued. They must not be solely relied on or used as a substitute for assessing the individual needs of each patient.
|Project Head||Dr Johannes Van Waart|
|National Lead Obstetricians||Dr Johannes Van Waart and Dr Sagie Naidu|
|Western Cape||Dr Reinarda van Waart|
|Eastern Cape||Dr Clayton Grieve|
|KZN||Dr Rajesh Gangaram|
|Northern Gauteng||Dr Miems Kleynhans|
|Southern Gauteng||Prof Bash Goolab|
|FS||Dr Francois Villiers|